News

KNH teams up with gas safety charity to launch new campaign

Release Date: 22-Sep-2017
Every year, hundreds of people in the UK are affected by carbon monoxide poisoning, so as part of national Gas Safety Week (18-24 September), we've teamed up with Stacey Rodgers from the Dominic Rodgers Trust to raise awareness of the dangers of the deadly gas.
Stacey with Heidi Thompson, KNH Director of Property, and members of our gas team with the new advert on the vans

Stacey with Heidi Thompson, KNH Director of Property, and members of our gas team with the new advert on the vans

Stacey with gas engineer Jack Freeth and Mr James Breen, at Mr Breen’s annual gas service & safety check

Stacey with gas engineer Jack Freeth and Mr James Breen, at Mr Breen’s annual gas service & safety check


Huddersfield mum Stacey tragically lost her son Dominic to CO poisoning in 2004, when fumes from a neighbour’s faulty boiler leaked into his bedroom. Since then, she has campaigned tirelessly to raise awareness of CO and has been supported in her work by KNH for the past 10 years.

On Monday, Stacey told her powerful story to new apprentices at the Leeds College of Building so right at the start of their training, they would better understand the dangers of CO and spread the word to their friends and families about the importance of having appliances serviced and using a CO alarm.

Stacey also spoke to KNH gas engineers to remind them of the importance of their life-saving work and launched a new advertising campaign that features Dominic on KNH vans.

Stacey said: “I don’t want anyone else to go through what our family did when we lost Dominic, so I want to do all I can to get the word out and make sure people know about carbon monoxide and how they can protect themselves and their families. I hope that the van adverts remind everyone who sees them to take action.”

KNH Director of Property, Heidi Thompson, said: “What happened to Dominic was an absolute tragedy, but one that could have been avoided by proper maintenance work. As a landlord, we are legally required to carry out gas safety checks on all our properties on an annual basis, but struggle to get into some homes due to a lack of access. This leads to repeated visits and can sometimes lead to enforcement action, where we force entry to do enable us to complete the service .

“So if you do live in a KNH property , help us to help you by letting our gas team do your gas safety checks. If you live in a private rented house, always make sure your landlord has a gas safety certificate and if you own your home, get a qualified and registered engineer to check your appliances and complete the gas service for you every year. And finally everybody should get a carbon monoxide alarm; these really do save lives.”