Your tenancy agreement - Leaving your home and ending your tenancy

Content owner : Last updated : 19/06/14

  1. You must give four weeks' notice to end the tenancy. You can do this by ringing 01484 414886, by calling into a Customer Service Centre, or by writing to: Tenancy Termination KNH, Perseverance House, St Andrews Road, Huddersfield, HD1 6RZ. The notice must end on a Monday.
  2. At the end of the tenancy, you must leave your home empty, secure, clean and tidy and you must hand in all your keys.
  3. At the end of the tenancy, if there is any damage to your home or if you have removed any item we own, you will have to pay for any repair or replacement and any other loss we suffer. Where damage is wilful and extensive, we will consider prosecution.
  4. If you abandon your home without telling us, we can assume that you have given up your tenancy.
  5. Once the tenancy has ended, we will remove any item we find in the property and get rid
  6. We can end a secure tenancy with a court order, but if a secure tenancy no longer exists because, for example, you have stopped using the property as your only or principal (main) home, we may end the tenancy by giving you 28 days’ notice to quit.
  7. If one of two joint tenants dies, the tenancy automatically passes to the survivor.
  8. Unless you took over the tenancy after someone had died, your tenancy will automatically pass to your husband or wife who is living with you when you die. If you have no husband or wife living with you when you die, the tenancy could pass to your partner or other relative, if that person had been living with you continuously for the 12 months immediately before your death. Introductory tenants have this right under Section 131 of the Housing Act 1992.
  9. If the tenancy has already been passed on once under the law, we will also allow a husband or wife or a person who has been living with the tenant as part of his or her family for at least 12 months immediately before that tenant died, to take over the tenancy. However, no other person must have the right to the tenancy and the property must not be specifically designed or adapted for a disabled or elderly person to use or too big for the person who wants to take it over.
  10. Secure tenants have the ‘Right to Buy’ their homes. Introductory tenants do not have this right. You get this right if you become a secure tenant.
  11. You have the ‘Right to Exchange’ your home with another secure tenant. You must get our permission, in writing, before you move and we may refuse permission if you do not meet certain conditions. If you do move without our permission, in writing, you will have to return to your original home. Introductory tenants do not have this right until they become secure tenants
your home