Two men demanded a significant amount of money from an elderly tenant after cutting down trees in his garden claiming he would be evicted by Kirklees Council if they weren’t removed.
In a similar incident, two men offered to undertake work on an elderly tenant’s garden for an agreed sum of money. When they returned they charged the tenant hundreds of pound extra and took him to the bank so he could withdraw the money for them.
Both incidents have been reported to the Police and Community Support Officers are leafleting and talking to people in the affected areas to inform tenants about the scam and how to avoid it.
Please be aware of this scam, if anyone comes to your house, or neighbours, particularly if they are vulnerable, to offer these services or similar, please ignore them and contact us or the police.
- Obtain 3 written quotes before choosing a trader.
- Don’t pay any money upfront, particular in cash.
- Only pay for work once it has been completed and you are satisfied with the job.
- Report issues with rogue traders to West Yorkshire Police online by calling 101 or by texting 07786 200 200 if you are deaf or hard of hearing. Call or text 999 if they are still on your doorstep.
- Report issues with companies to West Yorkshire Trading Standards via Citizens Advice online or by calling 0345 404 0506.
We would always contact tenants directly to arrange any work and let you know we are coming out.
Do you know how best to protect yourself from doorstep scams? Information can be found on the West Yorkshire Police website.